Friday, August 27, 2010

Medieval winged altarpiece to travel to London

After the London exhibition of the Liechtenstein collection was canceled, plans were quickly made to fill the void with an exhibition based on the holdings of Hungary's premiere art museum, the Museum of Fine Arts (Budapest). An article in the Guardian (15 May 2010) gives one some idea about the selection process: when the show's curator, David Ekserdjian inquired about the possibility of including a Leonardo drawing in the show, the response from Budapest was: "Why don't you have two." In addition to important pieces from the Museum of Fine Arts, several objects will be included from the Hungarian National Gallery, the museum dedicated to the history of Hungarian art. The result will be: Treasures from Budapest: European Masterpieces from Leonardo to Schiele (25 September, 2010 - 12 December, 2010).

Little if any art historical significance can be expected from such exhibitions - although in addition to providing viewing pleasure to their public, they presumably draw some attention to Hungary and the rich artistic collections of the country. In this context it was quite surprising to learn, that one of the pieces included in the upcoming exhibition is a complete medieval winged altarpiece, the main altar from the church of Liptószentandrás (today Liptovský Ondrej, Slovakia). The altarpiece, made in 1512 and illustrated below, survived fairly intact along with its intricate carved canopy.


It is very rare for medieval panel paintings, let alone complete altarpieces to travel to exhibitions - this piece, along with other altarpieces in display in the same room (the former throne room of the royal palace of Buda) - has not been lent before, at least not since 1982, the opening of this permanent display. Naturally, it is a very delicate and fragile piece.
The difficulty surrounding this loan and the danger it represents for the altarpiece has been discussed in detail on the art history blog of Gábor Endrődi, an expert of the period. His blog is in Hungarian - visit it at least for the images, even if you don't speak the language.

The complete list of loans - including other important medieval pieces - is available on the website of the Royal Academy.  You can also find more information on the exhibition there.

8 comments:

  1. "Why don’t you have two?" - We had not been able to take next pieces from the villages of Slovakia...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog , I really love your writing style that you are using for your posts and stuff,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Mrs.Sandra Bents from Germany, God has bless me with two kids and a loving husband, I promise to share this Testimony because of God favor in my life,2months ago I was in desperate need of money so I thought of having a loan then I ran into wrong hands who claimed to be a loan lender not knowing he was a scam. he collected 2,000USD from me and refuse to email me since. then I was confuse, but God came to my rescue, one faithful day I went to Court after the Case of my friend I share idea with a friend and she introduce me to DR PURVA PIUS LOAN COMPANY, she said she was given 50,000USD by Dr Purva Pius, THE MANAGING DIRECTOR OF DR PURVA PIUS LOAN COMPANY . so I collected his email Address ,he told me the roles and regulation and I followed, then after processing of the Documents, he gave me my loan of 30,000POUNDS .you can contact him on via email : (urgentloan22@gmail.com) I am sure he will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Marissa Grace,I am a Citizen Of Hungary.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Dr Purva Pius Finance Home he help me with a loan of $300.000 some days ago after been scammed of $2500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $300.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

  5. My name is Courtney Bieneman, a citizen of USA; am 41 years of age.. I want to use this medium to inform you all about the goodness of the lord for finally leading me to a really and genuine loan lender named Dr Purva Sharegistry, the managing director of Purva Sharegistry Loan Company after been scammed by other fake lenders, i was hopeless and didn't know who to trust while he came and put a great smile on my face at my greatest surprise. Anyone of you that have also been a victim of scam, you should bother no more cos, i have bring you good news and the only lender you can trust, just contact them now via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com) for more info on how to get your loan. And once again thanks be to Dr Purva Pius for giving me a loan of 154,000.00 USD...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Anita. I live in UK London and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Anita, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Johnson Magma from, USA i received my loan of $63,000 in my account on 11-8-2015 from Dr Purva Pius Firm, and i promised to advertise their Firm to all loan seekers round the world, contact them now email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete